6 Days East Africa safari in Rwanda and Congo
6 days East Africa safari in Rwanda and Congo takes tourists to the two countries in the east African region including Rwanda and Congo for a thrilling 6 days East Africa safari that includes 6 days and 5 nights starting from Rwanda the land of a thousand hills with airport arrival, Kigali city tour to explore the genocide memorial sites, kimironko market, trekking chimpanzees and canopy walk in Nyungwe forest national park, and finally visit Virunga national park for Nyiragongo hiking adventure before returning to Rwanda for departures.
Highlights of 6 days East Africa safari in Rwanda and Congo
- Day 1: Welcome to Rwanda
- Day 2: Transfer to Nyungwe forest national park Rwanda
- Day 3: Chimpanzee trekking and Canopy walk in Nyungwe forest national park
- Day 4: Transfer to Gisenyi & Explore Lake Kivu
- Day 5: Transfer to Virunga National park & Ascend Nyiragongo
- Day 6: Descend Nyiragongo and transfer to Kigali for departures
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Welcome to Rwanda
- Welcome to Rwanda: Upon arrival at Kigali international airport on day 1 of 6 days East Africa safari, you will be welcomed by our company representative in Rwanda who will introduce himself as your safari driver. He will offer you a sheet of your 6 days safari and brief you about all the basic information that you require as you transfer to the reserved hotel in Kigali-Rwanda for a meal and relaxation from a flight. In case you are in for any activity in the evening, you will be taken on a city tour to explore some of the genocide memorial site, markets and many more otherwise, you may postpone the city tour to the last day of your 6 days East Africa safari in Rwanda and Congo such that day 1 is set aside for only arrival and relaxation.
Day 2: Transfer to Nyungwe forest national park Rwanda
- Transfer from Kigali to Nyungwe forest national park: A relaxed breakfast will be served at your hotel in Kigali on day 2 of 6 days East Africa safari then check out of the lodge and start a long drive to Nyungwe forest national park which is estimated to be 6-7 hours road drive to the land of 13 species of primates. Being a long drive, you will enjoy stopovers along the way while viewing several tourist attractions. Have your enroute lunch and proceed the journey to the park headquarters where you will be cleared with park officials, receive your chimpanzee trekking permit and proceed for lodge check-in, dinner and overnight.
Day 3: Chimpanzee trekking and Canopy walk in Nyungwe forest national park
- Chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe forest national park: Arise very early in the morning for breakfast on day 3 of 6 days East Africa safari in Rwanda and Congo, pack your favorite snacks and enough bottled water then meet your safari driver to be driven to the park headquarters for a briefing with other chimpanzee trekkers. After briefing, you will set off alongside rangers and guides to Cyamudongo forest where Chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe forest national park is conducted. Chimpanzee trekking is expected to last between 1 hour to 5 hours depending on the movement of chimpanzees and the trekking speed of trekkers but be sure to spot other primates in the forest, mammals and several birds. Once you get closer to the habituated chimpanzee family, you will be allowed just one hour of close viewing as you watch chimpanzees going on with their daily activities and learn more of their behaviors and habits. Take as many photographs as you can but remember to keep the flashlight of your camera off at all the times as long as you’re in the habitat of chimpanzees.
- Canopy walk in Nyungwe forest national park: After trekking chimpanzees on day 3 of 6 days East Africa safari in Rwanda and Congo, you will return to the lodge for lunch and set off for an evening canopy walk. Nyungwe forest national park offers the best canopy walk raised at an elevation of 50m and stretching about 150m in length. This canopy walk offer a clear view of Nyungwe forest national park and all that is in it due to a great elevation that is almost a tree height. You will encounter several primate species including the chimpanzees, monkeys, baboons, mammals such as Elephants, buffaloes and several birds. This canopy walk can be combined with other walking trails since Nyungwe forest national park offers several walking / hiking trails that lead to several attraction. Let us know which trails you need and it will be added to your itinerary.
Day 4: Transfer to Gisenyi & Explore Lake Kivu
- Transfer from Nyungwe forest national park to Gisenyi and Explore Lake Kivu: Have your breakfast on day 4 of 6 days East Africa safari in Rwanda then be transferred to Gisenyi where you will enjoy your lunch along the shores of Lake Kivu and spend the remaining hours of the day exploring lake Kivu on a boat cruise, walking safari and swimming as you view the stunning vegetation cover along the shores of lake kivu and have a stunning view of Mount Nyiragongo with in Virunga national park. Later in the evening, you will be driven to your lodge for dinner.
Day 5: Transfer to Virunga National park & Ascend Nyiragongo
- Nyiragongo hiking in virunga national park: After breakfast at the lodge in Gisenyi on day 5 of 6 days East Africa safari in Rwanda and Congo, you will check out of the lodge and be driven direct to Rwanda Congo border for clearance with virunga national park officials then obtain your Nyiragongo hiking permit and be driven by the convoy to the starting point of Nyiragongo hiking where you will meet with other hikers, hire a porter and the sleeping bag in case you dint carry your own. At exactly 10:30am at Kibati ranger post, hikers start to ascend Nyiragongo amidst security of armed rangers while sighting several wildlife along the way such as primates , mammals, birds and many more but be aware that the wildlife encountered along the way especially the primates and mammals are very wild and not used to humans. Upon arrival at the summit, you have a full night of viewing the beautiful and active lava lake that glows whenever rain drops in it.
Day 6: Descend Nyiragongo and transfer to Kigali for departures
- Descend Nyiragongo & transfer to Kigali for departures: On day 6 of 6 days East Africa safari in Rwanda and Congo, wake up early for breakfast at the summit of Nyiragongo then meet another hiker to start descending at exactly 6:00 am and return to Kibati ranger post where you will find a convoy waiting to transfer you back to the border to meet with your safari driver. Once you meet your safari driver, he will take you to a hotel for lunch and then be driven back to Kigali for hotel drop off or airport transfers. Depending on your flight time, you will have a brief kigezi city tour in case you missed it on day 1 of 6 days East Africa safari in Rwanda and Congo.
END OF 6 DAYS EAST AFRICA SAFARI IN RWANDA AND CONGO